History of Resurrection Lutheran Church
1956 - 2005
The Lutheran Church of the Resurrection began as a
mission church built by the Northwest District of the
Missouri Synod Lutheran Church. The small white church was
on the corner of First Avenue South and 206th Street. The
church was dedicated on July 1, 1956 and Rev. Gilbert C.
Moore was installed as its first pastor on that date. The
cost of the building was $35,000. The church seated 160 in
the main church and 120 in the adjoining educational wing.
By December of that year there were 45 baptized members
with 22 communicant members. There were 60 children enrolled
in the Sunday School. George Beckmann was the first chairman
of the congregation. Other officers in 1957 were: William
Sloper, Ken Erickson, William Eichler, Jr., M. W. McClung,
Harrie White, C. A. Retzlaff and Harold Schwanke. Organist
was Warren Jaech. At this time there were 184 baptized
souls, 76 communicant members and a Sunday School enrollment
On April 27, 1958 the congregation was officially
organized. Frank Lindeke was chairman for drawing up the
constitution and signed the Synod’s constitution at the
District convention in Portland. That year the parsonage was
built and dedicated on November 9.
The property the present church stands on was purchased
in 1959 for $15,200. At that time part of the two acres was
filled with water providing much fun for neighborhood
In 1961 the church celebrated its fifth anniversary on
November 28. At that time there were 175 communicant members
and the average attendance was 116. The Sunday School had an
enrollment of 233. Although Resurrection was a subsidized
congregation until 1964, missions were strongly emphasized.
Choirs were organized by Ann Lindeke and later Edna Bevan.
Women’s Guild was active in altar work, sewing (church
paraments), flowers, mission work and church cleaning. Ruth
Runland was a dedicated worker and inspiration to this
group. Aileen McClung was a volunteer secretary for both
Pastor Moore and Pastor Kudick. Mr. & Mrs. Harvey Pittelko
served as Youth Counselors from 1958 to 1974.
In 1962 the church took part in the Lutheran Rally at the
Seattle World’s Fair.
In 1964 the congregation became financially
self-sustaining. Pews were installed that year.
In 1965 Pastor Moore left and Pastor Ronald Kudick
accepted our call and was installed in August. He served
until June of 1972. During this time we purchased our pipe
organ and built the gym, kitchen and offices on our present
site. The building was dedicated on March 1971. Building
committee members were Verle Roth, Fred Bauer, Charles
Runland, George Beckmann, and Joseph Oliver. Architect was
K. Walter Johnson and the contractor was Paul Maier. The 85
year old pipe organ was purchased for $200 from Pastor
Kudick’s home church in Visalia, California. In 1968 Edna
and Wayne Bevan along with Jim Luden from Olympia Organ
Builders traveled to California, packed the organ into a van
and brought it to Seattle. For a time it was stored with
Olympic Organ Builders and later was stored in the church
basement until it was placed in our new sanctuary in 1978.
Ground was broken on June 28, 1970 for the new hall which
included gymnasium, offices and kitchen. Dedication of the
gymnasium-fellowship hall was March 14, 1971. The Rev.
Ronald Kudick conducted the service and read the dedication
rite. At that time we ceremonially burned the mortgage on
the First Avenue building.
After Pastor Kudick left in 1972, the Rev. Richard W.
Gerken accepted our call and was installed on September 10,
1972. During 1972 the first Director of Christian Education,
Keith E. Brosz, was called and installed. He served until
September 1974. Ellsworth Knos (Sandy) Anderson was called
to serve as our next D.C.E. He was installed on June 22,
1975. Under Sandy’s directorship our Mexico Mission was
begun. In 1981 a group of youth and adults traveled to Las
Palmas, south of Te’cate and worked for a week in an
orphanage. Since that time members of Resurrection have
worked in Mexico, at first twice a year and then once in the
spring. This ministry continues at the present time. The
mission has built a church, schools, homes and also repaired
In 1976 the First Avenue property was sold for $80,000.
This money retired the debt on the gymnasium-fellowship hall
and left some monies for a start on completing our worship
facility. The gymnasium was remodeled for use as a temporary
sanctuary and education facility with the construction of
the altar and pulpit, communion rail, carpeting and several
classrooms. Ground was broken for the new sanctuary on
February 5, 1978. The architect was Milton Stricker.
Contractor was Leo Finegan Construction Company, Inc. He
agreed to allow our members to work on the construction site
where possible. Members volunteered many, many hours of
work. The building was dedicated on July 30, 1978 with
Pastor Ronald Kudick participating in the service. Doctor
Oswald Hoffman, Lutheran Hour Speaker, preached at a Praise
and Thanksgiving service that same evening.
The last building program was completed on the spring of
1989. Classrooms and storage were added on the south side of
David Sanger came to Resurrection in 1985 as Whole Way
House Director and later as Minister of Children and Youth.
He left in 1995 to complete studies for the ministry at
Pastor Dorpat was called to be associate pastor in the
spring 1995 and serves faithfully up to the present time.
Although his work load has decreased over the years he has
stepped into the breach to take over for Pastor Hagan during
his four months in the United Arab Emirates.
On February 2, 2003 a retirement service and reception
were held for Pastor Gerken and Kathie who had served
Resurrection for 30 years.
Our present pastor, the Rev. Raymond L. Hagan, was
installed on March 2, 2003. As a reserve officer in the Air
Force he was afforded the opportunity to serve as a chaplain
to our troops in the United Arab Emirates and with the
congregation's blessing was able to serve there from May
until September, 2005.
History written by Ann Lindeke; September 2005